Spring Cleaning 101
Spring has arrived in West Michigan and we here at Eastbrook Homes could not be more excited for the sunshine and warmth that accompanies our busiest season! Now is the perfect time to throw open the windows and dust off the chill of winter. Are you eager to bring the fresh, clean feeling of spring into your home? Eastbrook Homes has you covered!
Every Eastbrook Homeowner receives a full home maintenance guide during their home building process. The Eastbrook Homes Home Owner’s Guide outlines everything you need to know to keep your home in perfect condition. Join us as we share a few of our favorite spring cleaning tips so you can welcome spring both inside your home and out.
Spring Cleaning: The Important Things
- Heating and Cooling – Spring is a great time to change filters, clean ducting and vents, become familiar with your programmable thermostat, and arrange for a professional inspection to ensure your home’s heating and cooling systems are clean and in good working order. Eastbrook Homes recommends professional service inspections for both your heating and air conditioning system at least once every two years. Filters should be changed every month.
- Roof and Gutters – Take advantage of warmer weather by inspecting your roof and cleaning the autumn and winter debris out of your home’s gutters. The last things you need during the Michigan rainy season are blocked drainage systems and leaky shingles!
- Dryer Vent – Almost 16,000 clothes dryer fires are reported each year, with failure to clean dryer vents as the leading cause. Avoid this costly and dangerous accident by regularly inspecting your clothes dryer vents and cleaning them on a regular basis.
Spring Cleaning: The Fun Stuff
- Decks and Patios – It’s time for sipping coffee with the sunrise, dinners on the deck, and sunset bonfires. Make sure your outdoor living spaces look their best by sweeping, blowing, or hosing off your decks and patios. Try to avoid power-washing; the pressure can chip paint and damage your surfaces. Spring is also a great time to reseal your deck so it stays looking new for years to come.
- Declutter and Unwind – Pop on your favorite podcast or playlist, choose one room to start in, and make room for new adventures. Take a tip from decluttering expert Marie Kondo – each time you pick something up, ask yourself if the object in your hands brings you joy and happiness. If the answer is no, it’s gotta go!
- Colorful and Clean – Tackle dusty bookshelves, china cabinets, and open kitchen shelving by color-coding as you go. Not only will your books, dishes, and kitchen gadgets get a nice wipe down and dusting, but every time you walk into the room you’ll be rewarded with the eye-pleasing sight of your beautiful color coordination skills.
Spring Cleaning: The Fine Details
- Cabinet Care – The amount of food, liquid, and random splatters that end up on your cabinets is truly mind-blowing! Keep your cabinets looking brand new by cleaning them every six months. Wood cabinets should get a nice clean and polish, much like you would do with fine wood furniture. Painted or stained cabinets need to be cleaned with a mild soap and damp sponge, followed by a nice wipe down with a dry cloth. Don’t forget to inspect, adjust, and tighten hinges and lubricate with oil when needed.
- Granite Countertops – Spring is a great time to reseal your granite countertops so they stay impermeable to liquid spills and stains all year long. Remember to regularly clean your granite with a “soapless” cleanser and rinse well with clean water. Avoid using colored or tinted cleaning products as they can stain your granite over time. Clean up spills, especially acidic (lemon or vinegar) or highly pigmented (coffee or wine) liquids, right away.
Spring cleaning doesn’t need to be a chore! Start small, make a plan, and dedicate a few hours on nice, warm, spring days to put on a new audiobook and get cleaning. Your home and health will thank you!
Are you searching for your perfect home this spring? Eastbrook Homes is Michigan’s premier homebuilder and with our amenity-loaded communities spread throughout the area, your dream home is just waiting to be found. Reach out to our Eastbrook Homes Sales Agents here to find your family a home that lets you enjoy the beauty of Michigan’s four seasons all year round!
Get Our Blog Posts
Delivered To Your Inbox
Talk to an expert about your new home options! Our Online Sales Team is here to help you through your Eastbrook discovery process. Get in touch with us today!